Portuguese Family Histories
The following people will be added here very soon. For now, only the ones in blue are ready to go now. The red text indicates new information about a person's origin or something not in the original text, either discovered by me or one of the visitors to these pages. I encourage everyone to help correct any inacurracies or typos. I have an ongoing project to identify the native village of each person mentioned in the book Portuguese Pioneers of the Sacramento Area. I would be happy to learn more from what each visitor knows.
Francisco Silveira Alvernaz, of São Roque do Pico
Manuel Silveira Alvernaz, of São Roque do Pico
Joel Silveira Ávila, of Piedade, Pico
José Vieira Azevedo, of Ribeirinha, Pico
John Leal Azevedo, of Piedade, Pico
John Lawrence Azevedo, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Antonio Baliel (Antonio Souza da Silva), of Pico
John King Brown (Azevedo), of Pico
Domingos A. Brum, of Pico
Manuel Cabral, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Joseph Silva Contente, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Antone Corey (Antone Correia Machado), of Pico
Manoel Costa, of Santo Amaro, Pico
Antone Damião, of Cais do Pico
Daniel (Dioniz) Dennis, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Francisco Rodrigues Dias, of Candelaria, Pico
Manuel Pereira Dias, of São Roque do Pico
Frank Enos, descendant of Pico
King Fernandes, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Lauro José Ferreira, of Calheta de Nesquim, Pico
Fortuna Fontes, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Manuel J. Fontes, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Mike Furtado (Miguel Avila Furtado), of Pico
Antone Francis, of Pico
Joseph Freitas (José Camacho Ferreira), of Santo Amaro, Pico
Manuel da Roza Garcia (Gracia), of Santo António, Pico
Guilherme Silveira da Gloria, of Candelaria, Pico
José F. Jacinto, of Santo António, Pico
Manuel Thomas Lopes, of São Roque do Pico
Manuel Machado, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Francisco Vieira Machado, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Joseph Vierra Machado (Azevedo), of Piedade, Pico
John Joseph Machado (aka João Alberto), of Ribeirinha, Pico
Frank Joseph Machado (Francisco José) of Ribeirinha, Pico
Manoel Mello (Manuel Antonio d'Areia Mello), of Piedade, Pico
Joseph F. Miller, of Pico
Jacinto Pacheco Moniz, of Pico
Daniel Ignacio Neves, of Ribeirinha, Pico?
Manuel Neves, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Manuel Silva Nevis, of Pico
Albert Rodgers (Albert Mendes), of Pico
Manuel L. Rogers, of Pico
Tom Rogers (Thomaz Rodrigues Tavares), of Criação Velha, Pico
Manuel Rogers (Manuel Rodrigues Tavares), of Criação Velha, Pico
Antonio Garcia Da Rosa, of São Roque do Pico
Manuel Garcia Rosa, of São Roque do Pico
José Leal da Roza, of Piedade, Pico
Manuel José Sequeira, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Faustine Silva (Faustino Anthony Silva), of Pico
John Maria Silva, of Santo Amaro, Pico
John Reposa Silva, of Pico
John E. Silva, of Santo Amaro, Pico
Manuel I. Silva, of Piedade, Pico
Manuel S. Silva, M.D., of Pico
Manuel Gonçalves Silva, of Piedade, Pico
Manuel Vittorino Silva (Silveira), of Santo Amaro, Pico
Antonio J. Silveira, of São Roque do Pico
Bernardo Homem da Silveira (1725~1798) - (in English), of Piedade, Pico
Bernardo Homem da Silveira (1725~1798) - (em Português), de Piedade, Pico
Gabriel Luiz Silveira, of Santo Amaro, Pico
Manuel Seamas (Manuel Simas Sebastião), of São Roque do Pico
Manuel Antone Semas (De Mello), of Santo Amaro, Pico
Manuel Bento Simas, of São Roque do Pico
John Souza, of Pico
Manuel Leal Souza, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Joseph Leal Souza, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Manuel Patrick Souza, of Pico
Joseph Souza (José Coelho de Souza), of Pico
Manuel Fernandes Terra, of Ribeirinha, Pico
Ambrose P. Valine (Ambrosio Pereira Valim, aka Charles P. Valine), of Pico
Antone Valine, of Ribeirinha, Pico
You can add the story of your ancestors here. Send E-Mail to: Family-Histories@dholmes.com
Return to the Portuguese Family Histories Home Page
Visit the Portuguese Genealogy Home Page
These are the stories of people from Pico:
From pages 178-179 of Portuguese Pioneers of the Sacramento Area:
FRANCISCO SILVEIRA ALVERNAZ left São Roque, Pico, for the United States in 1900, leaving behind in the Azores his wife, MARIA FELICIA da GLORIA, and their two children, Manuel and Maria.
He worked on farms in the Clarksburg area, and then in 1902 sent for his son Manuel to join him. In 1904 he returned to the Azores to visit his wife and daughter, leaving his son with his sister, Rosa Damião, in Clarksburg. Enroute to Pico, he got stranded in São Miguel, and while there his wife died in Pico. Francisco arrived there two days after her death.
MARIA ALVERNAZ, Francisco's daughter, meanwhile had married MANUEL PAULINO when she was 15 and he was 22. While Francisco was in Pico, he arranged for his son-in-law, Manuel Paulino, to go to the U.S. Manuel traveled to the U.S. in 1904 alone under an assumed name to avoid being drafted into the Portuguese military. Shortly after Manuel's arrival, Francisco and his daughter, Maria Alvernaz Paulino, followed that same year.
In 1908 Francisco again returned to São Roque, Pico, where he remarried and settled, and never returned again to the U.S.
MANUEL ALVERNAZ, Francisco's son, married AMELIA JACINTO, daughter of Marion Jacinto and the former Carrie Silva. That marriage ended in divorce, and Manuel later moved to the Los Angeles area, and married Sophie Maloof, a Lebanese, and had a daughter, Marie Alvernaz, who married Ray Wetzel, and, now widowed, lives in Brea, Los Angeles County.
Manuel and Maria Paulino lived in Sacramento, where Manuel worked as a bartender in several establishments around 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and I and L Streets, and later became the proprietor of the White Front Bar, well known to all of the Portuguese in the area. Manuel and Maria had a daughter in 1925, but Maria died at childbirth. The daughter is Eleanor Rainboth, who for many years was secretary to Msgr. Val Fagundes, longtime pastor of St. Elizabeth's Church.
Manuel remained single for several years while his daughter Eleanor was being raised by her godparent aunt and uncle, Domingos and Maria Alvernaz, in Clarksburg. When Domingos and Maria went in to Sacramento to shop they sometimes dropped Eleanor off with her father, Manuel Paulino, at the White Front, where she waited in the office until they completed their purchases.
Later, Manuel married Josie Marshall Perry, widow of Joe Perry.
Francisco Silveira Alvernaz was one of eight children of Manuel Silveira Alvernaz and the former Ignacia Leal, sister of Antonio Leal and Leonor Jacinto Leal (See SILVEIRA). Francisco's brothers and sisters:
MANUEL SILVEIRA ALVERNAZ, who never married; BERNARDA ALVERNAZ, who married a Carrol, and had two daughters and a son, the daughters being Maria Silvina and Amelia Gracia; the aforementioned DOMINGOS SILVEIRA ALVERNAZ, who had married MARIA AVILA, and who together raised Eleanor Rainboth, having no children of their own; ANNA ALVERNAZ, who married MANUEL VIEIRA, and whose two children were Manuel Avila Vieira and Anna Vieira Lourenco; MARIA IGNACIA ALVERNAZ, who married MANUEL SIMAS GARCIA, and whose daughter Mary first married Manuel Machado and then Vicente Paulino (Paul Vincent), brother of Manuel Paulino; ROSA ALVERNAZ, who married ANTONE DAMIAO (Antonio Damião), and raised her stepchildren by Damião's previous marriage to Annie Silva; and ANTONIO ALVERNAZ, who settled in the Yuba City area, and had four daughters. Two daughters, Rose and Emma, settled in the Patterson, Calif., area where they married brothers John and Frank Soares.
[Manuel Avila Vieira; Eleanor Rainboth]
For additional information about these São Roque families, contact Doug da Rocha Holmes.
From page 179 of Portuguese Pioneers of the Sacramento Area:
MANUEL SILVEIRA ALVERNAZ (not the above) was born in São Roque, Pico, on March 12, 1877, and came to Sacramento around 1900, living with the Manual Rosa family in their home on the levee just south of the Da Rosa grocery store. Once established, he sent for MARIA do ROZARIO SEAMAS, the daughter of close friends and neighbors of Manuel's family in Pico. Born February 8, 1912, in São Roque, she came to Sacramento and lived with the Manuel Rosa family, taking care of Manuel Jr., and then became a seamstress for an American family in Sacramento, living with them until she married Manuel.
The newlywed Alvernaz couple first lived in a small house next to the levee, and there all children were born: Manuel Jr., Evelyn, Alfred, Frank, and Alice. Later, about 1927, Manuel built his beautiful two-story brick home on the acreage fronting Riverside Road for $8,000 - still standing, surrounded by new homes and duplexes. The builders were Frank and Antone Terra.
Manuel Alvernaz died March 20, 1965, age 98. Maria died July 26, 1973, age 90. Daughter Evelyn was the first child baptized at St. Elizabeth's Church. She married her neighbor, Melvin Enos, son of Frank Enos who had the gas station in Riverside. Frank Alvernaz, who retired from farming in the Natomas area, was proprietor of the Back Door restaurant in Old Sacramento; Alfred Alvernaz is proprietor of the Hereford House on Riverside Boulevard; Manuel Jr. died January 19, 1979, age 65. He also had been in the bar-restaurant business as proprietor of The Distillery at 16th and L Streets.
[Alice Alvernaz Holtzman; Manuel Rosa Jr.]
For additional information about these São Roque families, contact Doug da Rocha Holmes.
From pages 185-187 of Portuguese Pioneers of the Sacramento Area:
JOSE VIEIRA AZEVEDO was born in Ribeirinha, Pico, in 1849, to Joaquim Inacio and Rosa Mariana Azevedo, who had several other children: Manuel, a partner in the Eagle Winery (see below); Inacio and Domingos who remained in the Azores; João, the father of Monsignor Azevedo (see below); Maria Azevedo Silveira of Sacramento; and Mariana Azevedo of Vallejo.
The children of Joaquim and Rosa were orphaned at an early age and were separated. Most of them left Pico for other islands of the Azores, and some immigrated to America.
Jose stayed in Pico doing odd jobs until, at a very early age he worked as a helper on a whaling ship, swabbing the deck, hoisting the sails, and working in the galley. He learned to navigate the ship by the stars when the sea was calm and learned to tell time without a watch.
When he was about 15, he decided to go to America, and in the years of approximately 1865 to 1875 worked his way on a sailing vessel, a long and tedious voyage around Cape Horn to San Francisco. Upon reaching California he decided to travel to Sacramento.
In Sacramento he met a dear friend from Pico, Antonio P. Valine. Both went to work for the Glide family at a dollar a day, working from daybreak to late in the evening. Together they decided to buy 40 acres of land in the Clarksburg area, land that was full of oak trees, plus tullies and blackberry bushes. It took them ten years to clear the land and pay it off.
In 1875 Jose decided to return to his native Pico, and Antone Valine bought his share of the ranch. When Jose arrived in Pico he invested all his money in property. When he was 28 years old he married 14-year-old MARIA JACIENTA SILVA. Two years later Jose and Maria decided to move to the island of Terceira, investing all of their money from their Pico properties in more profitable property in Terceira, becoming very prosperous there.
In 1907 Jose decided to return to California, and ten months later his family followed, settling on a farm that Jose had bought from John Boyd consisting of 100 acres on Folsom Road. He planted half of his acreage in grapes and fruit trees, and sold the other half to the Silva brothers, who later opened the Silva Brothers winery. Jose farmed until he was 75 years of age.
He sold his remaining acreage to the Silva brothers in 1924 and bought a home at 723 26th Street, enjoying 11 years of complete leisure. He died January 27, 1935, at age 85. Maria died December 13, 1940, at age 77.
They had ten children, three of whom died young Maria dos Santos at age 12, Manuel at age two, and Conceicao at 18 months. The surviving children: Emilia Macedo, Carmen Bettencourt, Consuelo Silva, Louise Silva, Christine Valine, Natalia Foster, and Joseph Azevedo Jr.
JOÃO VIEIRA AZEVEDO, brother of Jose above, had left the Azores in 1866, preceded by his older brother, Manuel, who had come to California in 1854. João was one of the crew of a sailing vessel that sailed around the Horn to California. Here he farmed in the Clarksburg area, and was quite successful. Eleven years later he sold out and returned to the Azores by way of the Isthmus of Panama.
There he married MARIA IGNACIA AZEVEDO and remained until 1901, when with his youngest son, Anthony, he returned to California, establishing a home in Sacramento. Here he was joined in 1902 by his wife, daughters Rosa Piedade and 16-year-old Maria da Saude, and sons Manuel and John, the future priest. When Father Azevedo was a boy in the Azores, he recalled, his father João could talk of nothing but California and his desire to return here.
João V. Azevedo John Sr. was one of the founders of the Eagle Winery at the site of the Keating Candy Company at 1515 18th Street.
He died in Sacramento in 1957, and his wife then made her home with her son, Father Azevedo. She died in 1928. Their daughter, Rosa Piedade, was housekeeper to Father Azevedo for 45 years, doing numerous chores at the church before there was an Altar Society. Daughter Maria da Saude, who married Clay W. Chipman, was an expert in needlework, and formerly operated a shop in Sacramento. She was a needlework judge at the State Fair for several years. Their daughter, Mary Adelaide Chipman Jones, sometimes helped her Aunt Rosa with the church chores, and learned to speak Portuguese quite young.
REV. JOHN VIEIRA AZEVEDO, son of João V. and Maria Ignacia Azevedo, was born in the Azores November 25, 1880. He began his classical and theological studies in the Azores, completing his theological training at St. Patrick's Seminary in Menlo Park, California. He was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Grace at the Cathedral in Sacramento in 1904. (See Chapter 12, Religion.)
ANTHONY MARIANO AZEVEDO, Msgr. Azevedo's brother, was drafted into the U.S. Army at age 18, and served eight months in France with Battery C, 347th Field Artillery.
After the war he returned to Sacramento where he served as vice-consul of Portugal for the northern California district. He died in Sacramento at age 33.
MANUEL J. AZEVEDO, another brother, born in Terceira, came to California at an early age. In Sacramento he married ROSE MANICA, and they lived on S Street between 18th and 19th Streets. About 1920 Manuel bought a ranch in Natomas on Bayou Way, where he built a barn for the horses, with living quarters on one side where he stayed through the week. He didnt own a car then, so his transportation was a bicycle which he rode 18 miles each way. He usually went home on weekends to get clean clothes and to bathe. His wife, Rosa, didn't like the ranch. Later Manuel converted the barn into a house, and Rosa moved out to the ranch. By now Manuel had a tractor, which made his work easier. He farmed for 50 years, raising a lot of alfalfa. Rosa was very involved in the SPRSI, and rose as high as grand vice president.
[Natalie Azevedo Foster; Mary Adeline Chipman Jones; Sacramento Union article by Charles Prior, Nov. 12, 1941]
From page 189 of Portuguese Pioneers of the Sacramento Area:
JOHN LEAL AZEVEDO was born August 12, 1894, in Piedade, Pico, the Azores, and in 1908 at age 14 he came to the United States as a "son" of Manuel Silva, one of the partners in the Silva Brothers Winery at Mills Station.
At Mills Station, he stayed with Mr. and Mrs. Joe Bettencourt, and attended the Kelly School on Bradshaw and Lincoln. He worked for Joe Bettencourt and his brother King for a while on their ranches in the Rancho Cordova area, and also on the gold dredgers around there.
On May 1, 1918, in Sacramento, he married CARRIE VERONICA TAXARA, who was born September 18, 1896 in the Grant area. Carrie had gone to Modesto in 1917 or 1918 to visit her close friend and childhood neighbor, Minnie Perry Corey who, with her husband John Corey, was working in Modesto at the time. The Coreys were from the Pocket area of Sacramento. While there Carrie met John Azevedo, who operated a tractor for King Bettencourt on his ranch. During her visit, Carrie helped Minnie, who was a cook. When Carrie returned to the Grant from her visit, John followed.
John just missed going to the army in World War I. He had received his draft letter from the Government, but the war ended before he had to go.
He started work at the Brickyard around 1918, and that's where he and Carrie started their family of 11 children, beginning with Veronica, who was born at the Brickyard; Ernest, born in Freeport; and the rest - Wilbert, Lucille, Arthur (who died at age five), Bernice, Richard, John Jr., Dolores, Carolyn, and Rosalie - born in Sacramento.
The Brickyard was shut down during the Depression, so in that period John worked for King King in the Holland Land area, and for Frank Rogers in the Pocket. He also worked on the barges at Front and M Streets for the Delta Lines.
When the Brickyard restarted, he returned, working a short time setting brick for the kiln being built, and then worked on the dredger at the clay pit (now Greenhaven Lake). The dredger caught fire and burned beyond repair, so the Brickyard bought a dragline which John operated for a couple of years, during which time he dug at least half of the present Green-haven Lake. He also operated the locomotive which ran on a narrow-gauge track between the clay pit and the Brickyard. (See Chapter 10 for a description of the brick-making process.)
The Azevedos lived on Riverside Road (now Park Riviera) opposite todays Lewis Park in the Pocket. They moved from there in 1960 to 5860 14th Street. John died April 3, 1974, and Carrie on September 8, 1982.
From pages 189-191 of Portuguese Pioneers of the Sacramento Area:
JOHN LAWRENCE AZEVEDO was born in 1862, the next-to-oldest of seven brothers from Ribeirinha, Pico. From age 14 to 17 he had studied for the priesthood, but then gave it up and immigrated to the Sacramento area in the early 1890s with his brother Frank, the youngest in the family. They were the only two to leave the Azores for the U.S.
The two brothers built a house in Perkins in 1893 on the Jackson Road, and in the early 1900s established a small winery there, buying their grapes from other growers. Sometime later the brothers sold the winery and parted company, Frank going into farming in Natomas where he raised beans, and John farming in the Mountain View, Calif., area. His seminary-acquired knowledge of Latin equipped him with the basics of other languages to do some interpreting for the courts occasionally.
In Mt. View John met ROSA AGNES SILVA BALCAO of San Leandro, whose father, Antone Balcao had come from Hawaii, and whose mother, Rosa Silva, was from the Azores. John and Rosa married, and they had three children born in Mountain View.
At some point they sold the ranch in Mountain View and purchased a summer resort at Calistoga, moving into a 14-room house, renting out cabins to tourists, and making wine for the Government. Came Prohibition and they lost everything, moved back to the Sacramento area where another child was born, and John went to work for his brother Frank in Natomas. He then went to work at Manlove Station east of Perkins managing the McGillivray ranch, until becoming a victim on January 10, 1920, of the World War I fiu epidemic, and died on June 6, 1920, at age 58. His wife, Rosa Agnes, died March 16, 1937, at age 52.
John and Rosa Azevedos four children were Clarence, born on October 21, 1909; Rose, born in 1910; Dorothy, born in 1912; and Mildred, born in 1919. Rose married Ernest Akers, Dorothy married Harold Williams, and Mildred married Ted Bodiou.
Clarence Azevedo, the oldest child, worked at a grocery store in Brighton, next to Perkins after his father died when Clarence was 10-years old, working after school from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. for 10 cents an hour, then going home to milk the family cow, and peddle his four quarts of milk on horseback before returning to the small home in Brighton to do his homework by the light of a kerosene lantern. For a one-month period, when he was 14 years old, he ran the grocery-gas station operation by himself when the owner went on vacation.
In 1923 he bought a used Ford touring car for $180. At the time the County paid out-of-town students $5.00 a month transportation money to attend high school, and Clarence loaded up his car with himself and six other Sacramento High School students, collecting the $5.00 from each for a total of $35 a carload. After school he returned to his 10-cents-an-hour grocery job and the milk delivery route. In the summer he worked in the Rooney hop fields cultivating and irrigating for 25 cents an hour.
Stating that he was 21 instead of his actual age of 18, Clarence applied for a job with Safeway one afternoon, and without waiting for the store to call him, he showed up the next morning at 7:00 a.m. just in case someone meanwhile had quit to make a job opening.
Thus began a 16-year career with Safeway, beginning at the 25th and J Street store peeling onions. He then graduated to the order department, and impressed his bosses when he took an order from a Sloughhouse farmer for $132 worth of groceries. He worked from 7:00 a.m. until the work was done, whatever the late hour, at $22.50 a week.
It wasnt a life of "all work and no play," for he played semi-pro baseball as a catcher for baseball teams in Perkins and Florin for 15 years, from the age of 15, a contemporary of players like Joe Marty and Stan Hack, "though not in their league!" he admitted.
At age 18 he married Alice Banks, age 16, and they had one child, Phyllis Jean. They were living in Stockton at the time, where Clarence had been transferred for 10 months. Later, back in Sacramento, he was successively manager at various Safeway stores, eventually winding up in 1938 at a new store at Freeport and 4th Avenue with just himself and a butcher on the premises, building up the business from a first-week total of $315 to the highest volume Safeway store in northern California within six months, and employing seven clerks.
In addition to managing the store, he set up a training course for new employees, earning $5.00 for each employee hired and trained. So impressed was management that he was offered the job of supervisor of 27 stores, based in Siskiyou County.
But meanwhile Alice Azevedo had opened a dress shop in Oak Park in 1935 with $750 of Clarence's year-end bonus money from Safeway, and Clarence elected to leave Safeway on July 10, 1943, to join Alice in the operation of California Apparel which by that year had expanded to four stores in Sacramento, one in Roseville, and one in Stockton.
Frequent vandalism forced the operation out of Oak Park, and in 1952 the Azevedos sold all of their stores to concentrate on one location in the Fruitridge Shopping Center, operating there for 17 years until they sold the store on April 28, 1986. In its last full year, 1985, the store did a $2.7-million business.
In the meantime, Clarence had gotten involved in politics upon his appointment to the Sacramento City Council in 1953 to complete the term of Roy Nielson who had been elected to the State Assembly. He ran later that year for election to the post, being one of 30 candidates, and came in third. He ran again in 1955, and this time came in first. By virtue of collecting the most votes he became Mayor, repeating in 1957 by winning in 162 out of 165 precincts. His political involvement went beyond local affairs, as co-chairman of John F. Kennedys and Edmund G. Pat Browns electoral campaigns in Sacramento.
The springboard for his role in politics was undoubtedly his community activism, being a member of virtually every civic organization in the city. He had been president of the Red Cross, the Cancer Society, Goodwill, and Easter Seal; and vice president of the Chamber of Commerce for 10 years, to name just a few of his affiliations. In the Portuguese-American community he belonged to Cabrillo Civic Club and the IDES.
He left the City Council in July 1960. In 1961 he was appointed to the State Fair Board, served eight years as president and one year as manager, and was chairman of the committee formed to build Cal Expo. In 1962 he was one of 19 founders and vice president of the Bank of Sacramento, sold in 1969 to Security Pacific.
[Clarence L. Azevedo]
From pages 238-239 of Portuguese Pioneers of the Sacramento Area:
MANUEL da ROZA GARCIA (Gracia)* was born in 1846 in Santo António, Pico and came to America with his brother Joe as a young man. They bought a ranch of about 70 acres in the Pocket (the first turn of the road after the Portuguese Hall). Manuel married ANNA LEONORA SILVEIRA, born 1859, in São Roque, Pico, about 1878. (See SILVEIRA.) Manuel da Roza Garcia died November 12, 1889, in a farm accident. The horse spooked when he was rolling the land and he was thrown and the roller rolled over him, killing him. His brother Joe never married, and died shortly after Manuel, November 22, 1889, at age 52.
Two years later Anna Leonora married Antone Pimentel, whom she had hired to help on the ranch after Manuel's death. Antone lived only two years after the marriage, being killed in a duck-hunting accident. (See PIMENTEL.) Anna Leonora never again remarried. She died April 2, 1928. Antone (Tony) Pimentel was their only child (he married Maggie Valine).
The children of Manuel and Anna Garcia were Anna, Mary, Leonora, Joseph, and Manuel Jr. There was an earlier child named Anna who died very young.
MANUEL GARCIA Jr. was born in 1880 and died in 1963. He married LAURA CONTENTE, who was born September 6, 1882, and who died December 19, 1968. (Laura's mother was Amelia Hulder Heiser, a German, who learned to speak perfect Portuguese.) The children of Manuel and Laura: Edward, who died in 1977 at age 77; Harry, who died in 1928 at age 31; William, who married his cousin Rosaline, daughter of Joe and Amelia; Leland, who died at age six months in 1913; Melvin, Walter, Irvin, and Myrtle. Myrtle married Jimmy Machado, who at one time was a partner with his cousin, Tony Silveira, in the TNT Club near 7th and J Streets in Sacramento. Myrtle and Irvin occupied two smaller homes adjacent to the family home, and Irvin operates a small marina there.
Manuel Jr. farmed a ranch of about 100 acres near the canal in the Pocket, and after it was sold returned to the 70-acre family ranch which his brother Joe had been operating. The ranch was divided into two 35-acre parcels and Manuel built his home on his parcel. The property had been deeded in 1917 to Manuel and Joe. Most of the property has since been subdivided for homes. JOE GARCIA, Manuel's brother, married AMELIA PRADY, sister of Joe Prady who lived in the Pocket and worked at the Brickyard. Joe was born in 1883 and died May 18, 1958. Amelia Prady was born in 1884 and died November 16, 1967. Their children were Ernest; Rosaline, who married her cousin Bill, son of Manuel and Laura; Ethel, who married Monte Dorman; and Mabel, who married Frank Wittpen and had a daughter, Pamela. Mabel, Rosaline and Ethel occupied the original family home.
ANNA GARCIA married Ernest Alvin Savoie, who was a native of Louisiana, and not Portuguese. When she died on April 7, 1939 at age 79, she was living in the home her mother bought on S Street, a half-block west of St. Elizabeth's Church. Her husband, Al Savoie, had preceded her in death, on August 15, 1954, at age 68.
MARY GARCIA married MANUEL RODRIGUES VARGAS, and they had one child, Iva, who married Edward (Les) Womble, today a pillar of St. Elizabeth's Church who opens the church every Sunday and collects at the eight-oclock Mass. Manuel Vargas died November 8, 1953; Mary on March 11, 1941; and Iva on April 19, 1981. Les and Iva Womble had a daughter, MaryAnne Cottrell.
LEONORA GARCIA married Charles Koch. Their children were Mayme, who died November 18, 1978 at age 66; and Karl, who married Bertha Lovell and had a daughter, Virginia Meredith.
(*)The original GRACIA name became Garcia (pronounced Garcha) because of difficulty in pronouncing Gracia. Over a period of time Gracia became Garcia. The names on the tombstones of Manuel and his brother Joe (Joze) are Gracia.
[Maggie Pimentel; Mabel Garcia Wittpen; Iva Vargas Womble]
For additional information about these São Roque families, contact Doug da Rocha Holmes.
From pages 239-240 of Portuguese Pioneers of the Sacramento Area:
GUILHERME SILVEIRA da GLORIA was born July 6, 1863, in Candelária, Pico, the youngest of 17 children of Manuel Silveira and Isabel Mariana da Gloria. At the age of 16 he decided to study for the priesthood, and was admitted to the seminary in Angra, Terceira, in 1880. There a fellow seminarian who had spent some time in California told him of the spiritual plight of Portuguese immigrants in the state, which prompted Gloria to write for acceptance at Mission San Jose Seminary in California to conclude his studies.
He left the Azores with his sisters, Isabel and Ana, entered the seminary at Mission San Jose, was ordained four weeks later, and said his first Mass July 18, 1885. A year earlier he combined his theologic studies with journalism, having become in 1894 part owner of 0 Amigo dos Catolicos newspaper with Hayward attorney Francisco Ignacio Lemos and Manuel S. Quaresma, and served as editor-in-chief until 1896.
Father Gloria traveled the state in missionary work, and then became pastor of parishes in San Leandro, San Pablo, and, in 1896, in West Oakland, where he was credited with building St. Joseph's, a Portuguese National Church, remaining there two and a half years. The church was demolished in the late 1960s to make room for a low-income housing complex.
In 1889, upon returning to California from the Paris World Exposition, he stopped in the Azores and brought back with him his sister Maria Josefina Gloria Dias, later the mother-in-law of Dr. Jose Leal Azevedo, and nephew John de Gloria, and nieces Isable Luis Mendonca, Amalia (Mrs. Jose Leal Azevedo), and Maria Josephine Gloria.
He left the priesthood in 1899 to marry Ana Beatriz Collins of Santa Ana, Calif., daughter of Andrew Collins, an early-day miner. They had a child, William James Gloria, a brilliant young attorney who won national recognition in six criminal trials, and in defense of members of the Chinese community in San Francisco. The son died at age 39 on January 29, 1937, two weeks after his mother's death on January 14, 1937.
Meanwhile, Guilherme Gloria had moved to Sacramento and started the newspaper A Liberdade on October 1, 1900, moving the paper to Oakland in 1920 until 1937 when the paper was suspended following the sudden deaths of his wife and son. At one time it became a daily, the only Portuguese paper to become a daily. After the death of his wife and son, he returned to the seminary in 1937 and reentered the priesthood in San Francisco until his death January 18, 1943.
Though never having served as a priest in Sacramento, his identification with the area came with his role in organizing Freeport Council No. 3 of the IDES, which was named for him as the Gloria Council. He was also instrumental in starting the SPRSI. He joined UPEC No. 1 in San Leandro in 1888, and wrote the lyrics for the UPEC hymn.
Considered the greatest intellectual in the Portuguese community, and one of the outstanding orators of his time, at an early age he had shown his great talent for poetry, being published in various Azorean newspapers and in early-day Portuguese newspapers in California. In 1935 he published Poesias, a book of 84 poems and the epic poem "Cabrillo." In 1940 he published Harpejos, his last collection of poems. He translated from the English and French several novels.
[August Mark Vaz, The Portuguese in California, IDES, 1965; Carlos Almeida, Portuguese immigrants, UPEC, 1978; Manoel da Silveira Cardozo, The Portuguese in America 590 B.C.-1974, Oceana, 1976]
From pages 291-293 of Portuguese Pioneers of the Sacramento Area:
JOSE LEAL da ROZA, born in 1846 in Piedade, Pico, was the most prominent and successful of four Da Roza brothers in the Sacramento area. Unverifiable stories have been told in the family that a grandparent or greatgrandparent was involved in the smuggling of tobacco from Virginia to Portugal, hiding the tobacco from British officials at sea by covering the goods with wild roses to be used as perfume in Europe.
Jose's brothers and sisters who came to California, described below, were Antone, Guilermo, and Joaquim; Antonette, who married Jose Xavier Dias; and Maria, who married Antonio A. Martins. (See MARTIN.) The oldest of the Leal da Rozas, Manuel, never immigrated to the U.S., although he did die in a New England hospital. (See HOLMES.)
One family account has Jose as a lad working his way across the country to California as a "candy butcher," selling candy on the train. His obituary in the Sacramento Union on December 15, 1909, says he "came to this valley 35 years ago after wandering about California for a number of years." Counting back 35 years from 1909 would place him in the area around 1874 at age 28.
At some point in those years he worked as a barber in a shop on L Street between 2nd and 3rd Streets before settling down in Elk Grove.
He married Matilda, who in Portugal had been governess for a Portuguese family who had moved to Brazil. She eventually left Brazil for the United States. Both Jose and Matilda were quite frugal, and managed to save enough money to buy into the Elk Grove Winery in 1886, then owned by John Neves, before buying him out in 1895. (See Chapter 11.)
The winery was a very successful operation, and provided the wherewithal for Jose, little by little, to acquire considerable ranch and city property. At the time of his death on December 14, 1909 he was said to be worth close to half a million dollars, a considerable fortune in those days.
Matilda died on May 20, 1894, at age 39. She and Jose had two children, Clarence and Frank da Roza. Jose then married CLARA F. SILVA, and with her had five more children. Jose died of stomach cancer at Wentworth Hospital on December 14, 1909, at age 53. Clara died May 23, 1912.
Clarence, Matilda's son, died at age 14 on July 1, 1914, and Frank Leal da Roza died of a heart attack at age 44 on March 6, 1943, at Camp Buckley, Colorado, having been inducted into the army in World War II.
The children of Jose and Clara:
ANTONE LEAL da ROZA, brother of Jose, was born in Piedade, Pico, in 1859, and also achieved considerable success in business, as a builder. He married FILAMENA RODERICK (not the original family name) of Stockton, and they built a home on the corner of 13th and T Streets in Sacramento around 1911.
Among Antone's major construction projects were the Y Street levee in partnership with Tom Burns; the sewer system in the city of Monterey; the Jibboom Street bridge in Sacramento; and the Salinas-Monterey highway. It was said that he never used rulers in his work, just pieces of wood marked off to the desired length at the moment.
Quite well off like his brother Jose, it was to Antone that other family members usually turned when they needed money to go into business or to bring over from the Azores other family members.
Antone died August 12, 1926, at age 67, and Filamena a month later, on September 13, at age 60. Their children, in order of birth:
GUILHERMO LEAL da ROZA, like his brothers, was born in Piedade, Pico, in 1854. Some of his brothers were already in the Sacramento area when he arrived. Here he married MARGARET CORTHINO, born in the Azores, who died April 4, 1920 at age 65.
Guilhermo, or William, was in the house-moving business. He bought a number of houses around the State Capitol and moved them to the area of 5th and S Streets. This was done with a team of horses and cable affixed to a ratchet. A 100-ft. cable would be wrapped around a house, presumably on skids, and the cable connected to a ratchet hitched to the team of horses, according to a cousin, Joe Holmes. The horses would go round and round, inching the house forward until the length of the cable was used up snug against the horse hitch. Then the cable would be detached, again let out to its 100-ft. length, reconnected to the house, and the procedure repeated over and over until the new home site was reached.
At one point William went back to the Azores and bought some boats, and engaged in commercial fishing there for a while before returning to the Sacramento area.
The children of Guilhermo and Margaret: William Leal da Roza (Bill Rose), who married his first cousin, Elizabeth, as noted above, and who operated Rose's Cafe, a bar at 12th and I Streets in Sacramento. He was a diabetic, and eventually suffered the loss of both legs; JOSEPH LEAL da ROZA (1881-1954); and FLORINDO LEAL da ROZA, who married Margaret Gould, and had a son, Leo Gould da Roza.
JOAQUIM LEAL da ROZA, known in Sacramento as King, married AMELIA ROSE. He had a bar on K Street. He left his family at some time and disappeared. King and Amelia had five children:
ANTONETTE da ROZA married JOSE XAVIER DIAS. Their children: Alfred (1880-1959), William X. Dias (1871-1926); Annie Dias Muller; Joseph X. Dias (1870-1939), who married Annie Stowers; Evelyn Dias Manuel; and Edward Dias, a Sacramento dentist, who married Mamie McGushin. (See DIAS.)
MARIA LEAL da ROZA, who married ANTONIO A. MARTINS. Their children: Antone, Elith, Emilio, John, Rita Schwander, Gabriella Bettencourt, and Mary Silvey.
[Joseph Leal Holmes; Joseph da Roza Farrell; Adeline Molter; Manuel R. Holmes; Lionel Holmes; Sacramento Union]
For additional information about these Piedade families, contact Doug da Rocha Holmes.
From pages 316-318 of Portuguese Pioneers of the Sacramento Area:
ANTONIO J. SILVEIRA of São Roque, Pico, was the father of three sons and four daughters who made their way to Sacramento in the late 1800s, some to Pocket-area farms and some to the city. In the Azores he had married LEONOR JACINTA LEAL, the sister of Maria Leal Sebastião, Catarina Leal Custodio, Antonio Leal, and Ignacia Leal Alvernaz. (See ALVERNAZ.) Antonio and Ignacia also came to the Sacramento area. Maria and Catarina possibly never left the Azores. The children of Antonio and Leonor were Jose, Antonio, Rosalina, Maria, Rosa, Anna, and Manuel Silveira. All of the male Silveiras were known locally by the nickname of "São Roque" for the village they came from in Pico.
MANUEL F. SILVEIRA was probably the first one to come to California. He was born in São Roque in 1851 and came to Sacramento in 1870, where he worked at various jobs for the first five years here and then purchased a 55-acre ranch south of the city where he raised vegetables and hay. At one time he was also the proprietor of Oak Hall on Riverside Road, which had a sometime reputation as a brothel. He married MARY WATERS, also born in the Azores, in 1861 (Portuguese name not known). They lived at 7th and S Streets in Sacramento. Manuel is mentioned in History of Sacramento County, 1890. He died August 8, 1941. Mary died July 21, 1939. Their children: Joe, Rose McGinley, Maria Francis, Emma Harris, Filomina Waxon Kirkpatrick, Manuel, and Caroline. Emma died in 1983, Caroline in 1981, and Manuel Jr. in 1938. He had married Josephine Nevis, who died in 1959, and had a daughter, Wilma, who married Joe Silva.
ANTONE F. SILVA (He changed his name from Antonio Silveira for business reasons) was born about 1852 in São Roque. He married ROSE C. MARTZ about 1879, and they had 13 children. She was born in the Pocket area of Sacramento, the daughter of Frank J. and Rose Martz.
Because of the size of their family, Antone and Rose had a housekeeper and a cook in their home at 1217 E Street where they lived for 20 years. Joe De Faria was the cook before starting the Bay State Restaurant on 4th between J and K Streets. Antone hired domestics at different times, as noted in the biographies of some of the people in this book. Hogs were sometimes butchered for morcela and linguica at the E Street residence, attracting large groups of Portuguese. Antone Silva had four cows, and his sons sold and delivered milk in the neighborhood.
Antone was involved in sharecrop farming and acquired several small farms in the Grant area and in the Riverside district near the Brickyard. One of his businesses was his sprinkling wagons during the 1890s and 1900s, in which teams of from eight to twelve horses pulled water wagons to wash the cobblestones and sprinkle the dirt streets. He also had a contract to build gutters for the City of Sacramento. He maintained horse stables near J Street, one on 12th and another near 13th. In some of his enterprises he was a partner with Walter Forbes.
On September 15, 1904, he became a partner with Manuel S. Nevis in the Pioneer Winery on 21st Street, and at one point managed the operation. (See Chapter 11.)
One of his hobbies was horse racing. His personal horse was a black stud named General, and people brought mares from all over to breed with General. General was also used in 1913 to pull Antone's buggy, even though he owned an automobile at the time. Around 1900, horses were raced in the William Land Park area where the Jewish synagogue sits now, previously the site of Riverside Baths, a public swimming pool. The races took place on weekends, and were a big event.
He accumulated considerable money, and was generous with his wealth. About every four or five years, from about 1810 (1890?) to 1910, he would go to the Azores and each time bring back with him a group of people. He would vouch for them and pay their way to America, and then place them in various jobs, including on Portuguese family farms in the Pocket area. The men would repay Antone as they earned money.
The Silvas spent a month each year at Pacific Grove. It was a festive occasion in which other relatives participated, gathering and cooking mussels and drinking wine.
Antone Silva died on July 20, 1917, at age 65. Rose died June 5, 1908, at age 48. Among their children were:
Tony, who worked for the Southern Pacific Co., as did William, who married Louise Stadler, and Francis (Babe), who married Dorathy Schoen.
Eddie Silva owned the Home Linen Supply Company around 28th and R or S Streets in the 1930s, and later became the personal chauffeur to Governor Earl Warren and his family.
Others: Ernest; Margaret, who married Charles Juckes; Sofia, who married Tom Smith; and Janet, who died at six years of age.
ROSALINA SILVEIRA, who died in 1942, is described in the history of her husband, MANUEL SEAMAS.
MARIA SILVEIRA married MANUEL ROSA, and is mentioned in his family history.
ROSA SILVEIRA married JOSE AVILA, and they had one child, Joseph Avila, who died May 23, 1958 at age 73. Joseph had married Mary Gomes, who died May 12, 1982, at age 88.
ANNA L. SILVEIRA first married MANUEL da ROSA GARCIA and after he died November 12, 1889, married ANTONIO PIMENTEL. (See GARCIA and PIMENTEL.)
JOSE FRANCISCO SILVEIRA, born in 1870 (actually in 1855) in São Roque, Pico, like the others, was the youngest boy in the family. He married his first cousin, EMELIA CANDIDA LEAL, also of São Roque, the daughter of Antonio Leal, who was the brother of Leonor Jacinto Leal. Leonor, who died March 22, 1921, at age 101 (actually aged 97), lived on the Grangers Dairy homestead of her daughter Rosalina and husband Manuel Seamas.
Jose and Emelia Silveira's 40-acre farm in the Pocket adjoined that of the Neves family, extending from the Sacramento River to what is now Park Riviera and, north to south, from a half-block north of Driftwood to about Outrigger Way. Early on, a one-acre parcel on the northeast corner of the ranch had been sold, eventually coming into ownership of Clarence Nevis. Nearby Silveira Way is named for the family.
It was on the ranch on May 10, 1910, that Jose Silveira was killed at age 40 (really almost 55) when he was driving a team of horses attached to a load of lumber. The horses became frightened and started to run away. Jose clung to the reins and tried to stop them. While going down a steep incline, he was thrown between the whiffletree and the horses and was kicked in the head. The left side of his skull was fractured and part of the brain oozed through the skull, according to an account in the Sacramento Bee.
Friends who witnessed the accident picked up the injured Jose and gave him what help they could. Dr. C. H. Jones was summoned and just as he reached the scene of the accident Jose Silveira died.
Later, his widow Emelia married MANUEL ENOS, who with Emelia took over the job of raising her three children: Antone (Tony), Manuel, and Mary Agnes, who in her youth went by the name of Mamie.
Mary Agnes was the oldest (reached the age of 100 years on 25 Sept 1997) , and at age 18 married MANUEL R. HOLMES (Manuel Leal da Rocha Homem), of Terceira, the Azores, and had four children, Elmer, Lionel, Harold, and Dolores. Tony's first marriage was to MARIE SILVA of Natomas, and then to Jeanne Miller. He was proprietor of the TNT Club on 7th Street near J for many years, and then of Tiny's Club in West Sacramento. Manuel married OLIVIA PERRY, daughter of Joe Estoso Perry and Francis Soto. They were the parents of twins Manuel and Marcia Silveira. Manuel died November 11, 1979. He and his brother Tony had been in business together in a number of ventures, was manager of Sun Oil Company in Sacramento, and at the time of his retirement was manager of the Platter restaurant on Broadway, now the Pancake Circus.
Emelia Silveira Enos died December 25, 1943. Manuel Enos died on December 25, 1943, at age 73. (See ENOS and HOLMES.)
[Mary Agnes Holmes; Lionel Holmes; Sacramento Bee; Francis "Babe" Silva; Manuel G. Rosa Jr.]
For additional information about these São Roque families, contact Doug da Rocha Holmes.
You can add the story of your ancestors here. Send E-Mail to: Family-Histories@dholmes.com
Return to the Portuguese Family Histories Home Page
Visit the Portuguese Genealogy Home Page